ASSOCIATION WITH THE SADHUS

November 6, 2009

Prabhupada says in the purport of verse 24 of "The Teachings of Lord Kapila": Instead of thinking, “Unless I have a drink, I will go mad,” one should think, “Unless I associate with a sadhu, I will go mad.”

Before meeting the devotees I was indeed a madman who was frantically searching for material happiness. Years later, in the 90's, Lokanatha Swami and I were together watching in amazement how hundreds of young sense enjoyers were being transformed by dancing and chanting in ecstacy at a festival. He turned to me and emphatically declared, "Thank God for Srila Prabhupada!!!!!"

Today, Maharaja's words are echoing in my mind and dancing on my toungue, for it was on this day, November 6th, exactly 40 years ago, that I decided to regain my sanity by joining with the devotees in the temple and immersing myself in devotional service. Yes, "Thank God for Srila Prabhupada".

And thank Him as well for Srila Prabhupada's saintly sons and daughters, who so patiently and lovingly reached out to me and brought me into their transcendental family. I remember the atmosphere in the temple being so pure and attractive that even this most fallen soul became convinced he would never want to leave and return to the intoxicating madness of the material world.

Somehow or other, in spite of my innumerable offenses, Krsna is still keeping me under His shelter. That is all due to the divine mercy of Srila Prabhupada and his entourage of devotees, young and old. I pray to never lose their company.