MINIMUM WORDS, MAXIMUM MEANING

October 27, 2009

Continuing our discussion about employing our talents in Krsna consciousness: One of the 26 qualities of an advanced devotee is that he or she is poetic. Thus we find that so many of our acaryas, including Prabhupada, have left us beautiful poems and bhajans to relish and learn from.

Srila Prabhupada says in a letter to Patita Uddaran: "Please continue in your writing of songs and poems for Krishna, because singing Krishna's praises is the highest type of spiritual activity and will give Him great enjoyment. I would be pleased if you can send me a tape of some of your compositions."

And in the Srimad Bhagavatam, 10.9.1-2, Prabhupada writes: "While churning the butter, mother Yasoda was singing about the childhood activities of Krsna. It was formerly a custom that if one wanted to remember something constantly, he would transform it into poetry or have this done by a professional poet. It appears that mother Yasoda did not want to forget Krsna's activities at any time. Therefore she poeticized all of Krsna's childhood activities, such as the killing of Putana, Aghasura, Sakatasura and Trinavarta, and while churning the butter, she sang about these activities in poetical form. This should be the practice of persons eager to remain Krsna conscious twenty-four hours a day. This incident shows how Krsna conscious mother Yasoda was. To stay in Krsna consciousness, we should follow such persons."

As we see above, writing poems and putting them to music are most effective tools in developing our Krsna consciousness. Poetry uses mimnimum words to present maximum meaning, and it is easy to recite, sing, and remember. If anyone wants to share their poetry, songs or artwork with me, and thus inspire me in my spiritual life, I would be very grateful. I am also considering having a section on my blog to exhibit such works.

The photo of Prabhupada posted along with this article is one of my dearest objects of meditation. My dear friend Yudhistthira, who painted the portrait of Prabhupada in my previous post, has just offered to do a large painting of this photo for the Buenos Aires temple. Many thanks to you, Yudhi, on behalf of all the devotees, for your kindness and generosity.


My Dear Joy Fulcher,
Please accept my blessings. I beg to acknowledge receipt of your nice letter with some poems, as well as a nice picture of Radha and Krishna, by separate mail. Unfortunately, in transit the glass is broken into pieces, but still I have kept your picture in my working room, and everyone praises your artistic sense. It is very nice. I am very glad to learn also that you are attempting to paint similar pictures in larger size, that is very good idea. You have got some poetic sense also, and all these talents, the artistic sense and poetic sense, can be engaged in the service of Krishna. All devotees are more or less poets. Out of 26 qualifications of a perfect devotee, one is poetic sense. So we can write so many poetries in praise of the Lord, or about His pastimes. Similarly we can draw so many nice pictures about His different activities, and such engagements will give us chance to elevate ourself to the perfectional platform of spiritual understanding.
1968.